Monday, January 25, 2010

Colors and High Priestess

So, at Intuit, rather than MBTI, we use a personality profile called Colors. It was developed by David Belle-Isle who used to work for Intuit. Even though I have been at Intuit for 3 years, and have tried many times to be a part of Colors it did not happen until last week at our HR offsite.

We were so privileged to have David, the creator, run the session for our HR staff.

I am quite biased towards the MBTI and have been conducted workshops of Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to literally hundreds of groups and probably thousands of people, so I was not really impressed by peoples' comments about Colors, or their reference to the instrument, UNTIL last Thursday at our workshop.

In fact, David used some Jungian theory in his development of Colors, along with Freud and two other psychologists, who did not stick in my mind.

The theory was introduced by his wife, Linda, and she kept referring to the fact that the Doctor, would present the second half of the workshop. Well, it was eerie when it was your turn for David to interpret your results. He warned us that would feel like we were naked. He first said to me "Have you ever been a teacher?" to which I said "Yes, a teacher of leaders in organizations."

"You have a way of touching peoples' hearts." he said. And now for the development opportunity, "Do you ever take care of others at the expense of your own needs?"

"Now wait just a minute, are you inside my head? Yes, I often think of others' needs before my own but I have gotten a lot better lately at trying to take care of mine first."

It was a terrific workshop. I talked with David about the correlations between Colors and MBTI, and there are some strong correlations between MBTI and Colors.

That night at dinner, David sat across from me and said casually in conversation "You actually are the High Priestess is the way you touch others."

WOW, I am the High Priestess. These words, I must admit have escaped from my lips many times in the last few days. What a compliment to have my strengths phrased in such a way.

Signing off from the High Priestess . . .

2 comments:

Rodney said...

... and I have promised to remoind her when she is not being the High Priestess! xoxoxxo

Always Asking Why said...

Murg I do NOT remember that promise!