Friday, January 22, 2010

H-Mart What a Trip to the Grocery Store!



Last weekend, Murg and I went shopping to H-Mart which opened recently near us. It is an Asian market and with our recently acquired Thai cooking skills, we adventured there to find some key ingredients. We were moderately successful in finding the Thai ingredients. Some of the reason we did not find the right things is that we do not read Thai, or Chinese, or Korean, or Japanese. Upon reflection, we probably can identified Thai characters but not the content, compared to the other languages listed.

I went one other time, and I was by far in the minority as a Caucasian. There is obviously a need for this grocery store, given the number of Asians who were there shopping, and they seem to go straight for the item they are looking for. We on the other hand do not have a clue unless there is an English translation which occurs only part of the time at H-Mart. The meat and fish aisles alone are worth the trip. The two attached pictures humored me a lot. Vermont Curry? Does anyone in India know where Vermont is? It is Vermont Curry because it is maple flavored. So that is what Vermont is known for.

Smiling Fish just made me smile. Murg bought the Vermont Curry, I think. We did not buy the Smiling Fish.

So, I will go back, but having done some more research. I still need to find sticky rice to make Mango Sticky rice, which apparently you steam in a bamboo steamer rather than how we cook rice.

Such adventures, such fun!

No comments: