Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Latest Technology Challenge

After one week, I am still not sure about my new Macbook Air.  The first night was painful with lots of profanity and "What is happening?" and "Why would they do that?" and "Maybe I should have bought an IPad with a camera".

I know change is hard, in fact I teach change management but when it is happening to me it is different.  I am getting over some of the initial frustration and in fact like some of the features and functionality.

However, yesterday when my video camera did not work on two back to back calls, one Google Hangout and one Gotomeeting, I was irate.  Of course I naturally went to the internet for resolution and found out that with the new OS update, there is a problem with Macbook Air computers and Skype, Hangout and Gotomeeting.  However, there is no problem with Facetime and Photo Booth.

So, it is not a hardware problem, because the camera works.  It is a software problem, but Apple software or the other companies?  Apple apparently claims it is the other companies problem.  One solution is to use Time Machine, which is another Apple product, hmmmmm!

So, NO Apple I am not going to buy another piece of equipment, to backup my machine.  If I back up this machine it will be with Carbonite which has saved me three times this year when the desktop had to be reimaged from scratch.

Last night I was so mad I was going to the Apple store ASAP today.  This morning after sitting on it and doing some research, I am going to wait until the software people in which ever company have the problem, sort it out.

It is reported on enough forums as a problem, so hopefully by the time my next video meeting comes along it will be fixed.  I do have a solution that I can use for my Google Hangout calls, which is a workaround but will enable me to be seen on a video call.  This is after all, why I bought a new machine, so I can take part in video calls.  They are so much better when you can see the body language of the other participants.

My next challenge is to sort out my shard Contacts and try to eliminate the duplicates on my iPhone and get the phone numbers in contacts on my Macbook Air.  I have tried to solve this challenge before and have lived for years with duplicates.  Anyone have a suggestion on this challenge?

No comments: