Tuesday, September 3, 2013

It's not a terrible idea

We spent some time with Gary and Michelle on Tuesday, having been on Star Island with them at a Star Board retreat. We offered them a ride to the airport and we had a few hours to do some sightseeing before dropping them at Logan Airport.

While riding along in the car, and brainstorming, to one of Michelle's ideas, Gary said "That's not a terrible idea." I whipped my head around to see if my husband had replaced Gary in the back seat, because this same tenor of response is often his. All four of us repeated this at opportune times during the afternoon. Rod and I have repeated it 100 times in a week.

To Gary and Rod, every idea starts out terrible and after reflection might actually have some merit. Michelle and I love every idea until it proves to be terrible.

Rod claims that he would still say things like this but I have broken him of it with glares or looks of disgust.

So for translation and for the future conversation with Gary and Rod, a terrible idea is one with merit and is actually a good idea, or at least still in the hopper. As Michelle said, "Welcome to my world."

It is events like this that reinforce our differences, and help us to survive conversations by understanding ourself and others. We never stop learning about each other.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: