Tuesday, March 10, 2009

MBTI - the language is so important

2 times in the last week, I have gotten into trouble because I have not listened carefully enough. Not BIG trouble, but misunderstanding trouble.

The first was Friday night. Rod was driving and I was putting his password into his Blackberry. His words and his actions were perfectly clear to him and unperfectly clear to me. Both of us were being ABSOLUTELY clear. It was pretty funny. We talked through it and will never understand each other, but I think we understood the disconnect after our frustrations with each other faded. Rod?

The second was, 2 member of our covenant group were planning the next session during a church potluck. They asked a question, which I understood one way, and they meant another way. Both of us had our own reality of the elephant in the middle of the table but I was touching the trunk and describing it one way, and they had a firm hand on one of the legs and were perfectly accurate in their description.

No matter how well I know the theory of MBTI, it still trips me up, ALL THE TIME.

I would love to be perfect and not get so frustrated, but both of these events provide me 2 more stories to use in my workshops. They were classic.

1 comment:

Rodney said...

I understand what you were thinking - just not why you would think that.