Thursday, March 12, 2009

Walking with my iPod is meditative

OK, not everyone will understand my point of view, but this is what works for me. I needed to write something up tonight and while I was on my walk after work, the way to structure the document came to me in a split second just at the end of my walk.

Crick used to say that he would think about a paper over a few days, and be composing it in his mind and then sit down and write it. That is sort of what happened to me today. I wrote some stuff down last night but is was pretty disjointed. I had writer's block about how to proceed.

Mind you, I was walking the dog, listening to my iPod and it seems that this is what calmed my mind enough to focus. Some people get their best thought in the shower, I get my best thoughts when I am doing something else.

While I am checking my email and facebook is when I create my to-do list for the day. Neurons fire while I am checking them, that help me figure out what my big rocks for the day are. Honestly, I don't think sitting down and focusing on my big rocks is as effective.

I could be totally fooling myself, but I have enough data that through distraction I get more focused.

It is hard work for me to meditate during yoga, and it is easy for me to meditate while walking with my iPod.

Today during yoga, the teacher at the end said "Are you thinking about your task list for the day?" Really????? I cannot stop myself from thinking about what is ahead of me for the day, as I lie there quietly.

OK, on to the next distration . . .

No comments: