Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Daddy in 2009 and ipods

This morning as I plugged in my ipod for a day of work, I wondered if Daddy would have ever had an ipod. He died in 1995, prior to ipods. I guess he was an adopter of things if he could see a use for them. I don't think he ever accessed the internet, but he would have if he could have seen all of the history that is stored there. He poured over maps of the Civil War, and loved the details of many things. Frank Bunting who gave the eulogy at his funeral said he was a Renaissance Man, which he was. In this eulogy I heard for the first time that he loved opera and that he and Frank used to listen to it in "the backroom" aka Daddy's study.

So my image is that yes, he would have an ipod with opera on it and maybe an ipod deck in the back room that he could plug it into. Or maybe, he still has vinyl 78 or 33 or CDs and that is sufficient for him.

Murg is right about grief, you can do it in little bits every day. I miss him a lot every day, but now I have a new image of him walking around the horse pasture with ipod buds in his ears listening to La Boheme, and smiling, just a little turn up of the outside of his lips.

No comments: