Friday, April 10, 2009

Sunrise Sunset



The most wonderful part of the day at Coniston is sunrise. I find it very difficult to sleep when I know that a gorgeous sunset is about to occur. As my Mom says "The sun is not rising, the earth is revolving to expose the sun" This was in her Buckminister Fuller phase. (BTW continuing this post the next morning and I could sleep through the sunrise this morning. Getting to bed at 12:30am contributed to my being able to sleep past 6:30am)

So, I got up at 6:15 this morning (Friday), with the birds, and Qammi, took my coffee grinder outside so I would not wake Murg up and the day started. The sun is rose to the left of Mount Mansfield. In December it was rising over Camel's Hump. One thing about living here, is we see the change in the seasons in more ways than temperature or what color the ground is. Our Channel 1 is so present, as soon as our eyes are open, and until our eyes close. Thursday night the full moon's path was visible out the window at the head of our bed, for most of the night. I snuck looks in my lighter sleep pattern. I digress however . . .

Coniston faces directly east, so unless we leave the house, our only hint of a sunset is outside the south facing window and it is only the hint of a pink/red sky. I wanted to see the sunset on Friday night, so we drove to Sunset View Road, and continued to the Grand Isle Ferry, parked and watched the sunset behind the Adirondacks. Since is was pretty cold, we continued to drive south hugging the lake and watching the shades of pink and orange change for nearly 20 minutes.

Often in Lexington, I see the sunrise on my way to work, and see the sunset over Lexington Green, but I don't stop and smell the roses, or watch the sunset the way I do here. And I doubt if I will take the time, once I am working full time up here or living here full time. It is hard to avoid seeing Channel 1 so it certainly makes it easier.

No comments: