Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Canary in a Coal Mine

OK, this phrase has come up a few times in the last week.

I have managed to reorient how I view myself. Rather than say to myself, that "I am too sensitive" or "You should not feel that way" this week I realize that I am the title of this post.

It has been made obvious over time, that I can feel emotions in a group of people. I can walk into a room, and feel what is going on. My work fortunately calls for these skills. I just assume that everyone can do this, since it comes so naturally to me, BUT they cannot.

After a few experiences at work recently dealing with people with negative emotional intelligence, I realize my gift.

So, it came up around stuff going on at church. It comes up at work, among family and in most parts of my life. I feel emotions, tensions, dynamics etc well before the critical mass.

Up until now I have viewed it as negative, but lately I see it as a gift.

Rather than being too sensitive, I am the canary in the coal mine. I have a job to do, and it is an important one.

TTFN

No comments: