Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sandra's Lodge

Again, you must hear once again that I work for a wonderful company, INTUIT.

We all get 32 hours, PAID, a year to go do social action projects.

Today in honor of Earth Day, 7 of us went to a shelter for women and children, and:
  • raked and bagged leaves
  • planted flowers
  • planted trees
  • spread 2 yards of bark mulch

As we were working the residents were walking in and out of the building. I greeted each one personally, and some were tentative in their return of a greeting. Some of the kids were very social and interacted and some were withdrawn and shy. Kind of like the world I guess.

So, their entry look a bit spruced up, it smells good from the bark mulch and hopefully we improved their lives a bit. I actually asked a couple if they wanted to help. None took me up on the offer. They are on a daily schedule like the rest of us. I asked the Executive Director to make sure that the plants get watered, and to ask the kids if they would collect more rocks for the tiny rock walls we made to stop the mulch from washing away when it rains.

And now, I am back at work, which I love, but it is very different.

A good Earth Day experience and lots of things to ponder.

No comments: