Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ebenezer Frye

My grandfather taught us a song and always sang it during our family sings.

I just found on the web a reference to it and where it came from.

Nobody except maybe Daddy, could sing it like Grandpa.

Memories of these song fests are so wonderful. We would sit in a circle, Grandpa would play the banjo and there were certain songs that we could always sing; Ebenezer Frye, Tenting Tonight (Mom always started this one, and her and Daddy's voices were wonderfully harmonic) and then the patriotic ones, when depending on how much we had to drink, we would march around pretending to have flags in our hands, or sometimes, with a flag in our hand.

I never wanted these song fests to end. I wanted to learn more songs.

At Daddy's funeral, Eugene Childers and his band, played all of these songs, from the balcony as the people entered the church. All of Mom's kids and their spouses, were in a semi-circle in the entry way to the church. I carry this image around me with warm loving feelings.

No comments: