Sunday, March 27, 2011

Creativity is a process

At the Vermont Quilt Festival last year, I took a class which was much more design than quilting. Of all the classes I have taken this one has helped me the most.

I am making fabric collages lately, just 8.5 inches by 11 inches of fabric to design a journal quilt or fabric collage.

Since that class last year, I have been more comfortable with the process of design. Some of my collages may never be done. One in fact has been on my kitchen counter for a few weeks. I walk by and every time one part of not is not working. I kept trying to make it work but it never will. I had to replace one of the pictures and did not really want to do that. Finally today I found another picture that will work, printed it and overlaid the first picture. It works almost perfecting with some fabric fudging.

The lesson for me is to not settle until I am satisfied with the design and to listen to my design self. It may never be finished but don't settle for mediocrity. The teacher emphasized that in our class we may not leave with a product but the process of design is the important part. I am learning and by leaving it out and walking by it with a quick glance it let's me continually assess what I like and what I don't like.

This is probably crystal clear to artists but I am just now getting comfortable with the design process.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

B Nanny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B Nanny said...

This is good advice for my senior thesis! Now...to put that into practice...hmm...