Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Don't want to finish a book

The biggest reason that I don't want to finish a book is that I am enjoying it so much and want to savor every word of it. I don't want it to end. Recently "The Help" was like this. In fact I have been asking everyone for another book like it and have not heard anyone say they have one like it. Maybe I should reread it.

Recently another instance has come up where I don't want to finish a book. You have to know that I don't like suspense, or blood and guts or violence, which really limits the movies I can go to. Two times recently I have suspected that the book was going to have a bad ending and I have cheated and jumped ahead to read the last page. Darn, that is not the ending I want. In one case I stopped reading for about a week but then went back to the book and finished it.

The book I am currently reading, "A Cup of Friendship", does not seem like it can have a good ending, so I have noticed that my desire to read it is not there even though I read the first half quickly at Coniston this weekend. I have resisted looking at the last page so far, and I have not given up on it, so far, and returned it to the library unfinished.

I guess the mark of a good book for me, is one that keeps me reading to the end even though I know the ending and it is not the ending I want. It is actually a relief to know the ending in some cases, because I can brace myself. I have been known to not finish a book because l have peeked at the last page.

The older I get, the less I feel that I SHOULD finish every book I start or that it is cheating to read ahead. Cheating who? As I said, I am bracing myself to be able to finish it.

Does anyone have a book they have read that is as good as "The Help"?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: