Friday, March 4, 2011

Vowels and consonants

Honestly, this is how my mind works and this was my first awareness of it.  The year that we Chaired All Star II, we were allowed to spend an extra night on the island.  So very excited, I opened my eyes, stood up and pronounced "I am horizontal!". My wonderful husband muttered through his yet to open mouth or eyes, "No you are vertical."

I told many people this story and one person helped me understand that vertical and horizontal are stored close in my brain so it makes sense that I would access the opposite one.  Since this first happened, other instances have come up.  The most famous was when I called a Koala bear a Panda, or visa versa.  My husband proclaimed that day, that he would teach our children science.

Last night in choir the director said, "sing only the vowels of this section of music".  I heard consonants and sang only consonants wondering why I sounded so different than everyone else.  When we finished she said "Now add the consonants." They are stored close in my brain is one excuse, and I converted what I heard, vowels, to consonants.  The really funny part is that we have done this exercise before, so I have experience only singing vowels.

I don't mean to make excuses but to offer an explanation for what might seem to you as a complete opposite.  My retrieval of concepts in my brain is not as fine tuned as others.  The image I have is a vinyl record, and my needle drops down on the wrong track, the track right before, or right after.  Some youngins among us might not understand that analogy.  What is a comparable analogy with iTunes?

No comments: