Thursday, March 24, 2011

The opposite of faith is certainty - Anne Lamott

I saw this quote on my friend E's Facebook and it caused me to stop in my tracks. This is much more succinct than I have been trying to articulate recently.

Recently in our covenant group I have been trying to get members to be OK with uncertainty. Uncertainty of what another member means by what that person just said. Uncertainty that you understand their entire life history. Uncertain of what a reference means.

During covenant group, if we try to be certain of all of these, it stops the flow of the person speaking. It might inhibit someone from saying what they want to, if they are going to be questioned, or stopped, or queried.

A covenant group is not a normal back and forth conversation. It also is not like a thesis defense, where you have to back up with facts, what you say. One ground rule is that you cannot challenge what someone says. That is their truth at that point in time.

So this quote helps me quickly say all of this. It also helps me understand what faith means to me and why this ground rule is so important for our group and for the development of my faith.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: