Friday, May 22, 2009

Are you Kidding?

By the title you can guess this is a RANT. Yesterday at staff we had a discussion about a message that managers are going to have to give their employees. Working with engineers is an interesting job. They can get you wrapped around the axel so quickly with their numbers, and they can over-think and over-orchestrate a simple mathematical task. That however, is not why I started to write this post however.

As I think about responding to them, I start to have this internal conversation, and actually it does not all stay internal, surprise surprise (ENFP). So I am walking down the hall and out pops "Are you kidding?" I try to do this when no one is around. What I have found is that if I have these internal conversations or rants, then I can back track from there and be more reasonable. I have gotten out some of the emotions as well this way.

Someone asked me yesterday if I would like to be the one to communicate the message. Yes, if I get your manager pay for it was my reply. This after all is what they get paid to do. So if you hear me say "Are you kidding?" ignore it, just the overflow of an internal conversation really meant for only me.

No comments: