Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

Growing up, I did not really associate Memorial Day with my grandfather, but in the last few years, in a more contemplative mood, I spend a lot of the day thinking about him. He died in WWII, in a plane crash in Alaska, where he served in the Navy Reserve. I never knew him but have heard lots of stories from Mom about him.

Today, I regret that I never knew Grampa Joe. I am so appreciative that he served our country and I feel badly for my Mom that she lost her father at such a young age. It was the last patriotic war, in my mind anyway.

My cousins who serve in Iraq now; I appreciate them and their wounds that will last forever. I appreciate R, J's brother who served in Iraq twice.

I think about the Vietnam Veteran's Wall in DC, one of the most moving monuments.

I have been very contemplative today, about all of this. I am glad we take a day, every year to remember those who served, and to appreciate those currently serving. I used to think that the VFW at the end of our street, would lose membership, but with the Iraq war producing many new veterans every day, I guess not.

No comments: