Friday, May 1, 2009

Weeds - who says?

As I walked to D'Angelo's just now to get my lunch, I walked by some dandelions. Who says they are weeds? Weeds has a negative connotation. When Murg was trying to find me something lace for the lace anniversary, he went to a few local garden stores asking for Queen Anne's lace. By the third one, someone clued him into the fact that this is a weed. Not in our book it isn't, if it is good enough for a anniversary gift then it is not a weed.

Got me thinking about the old adage "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." So instead of weeds, we can call them flowers and if I want Coniston to have yellow dandelions at this time of year, that is what is blooming there.

I need to think about gardening now that I write this post. I "weed" the dandelions from just our front garden. That is just about all I can handle, and it is close to the street so not too removed from humanity.

So dandelions and queen anne's lace are flowers, or everything is weeds. Bottom line for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was just thinking about this too. I like dandelions, and these little purple flowers that I'm seeing in the lawns in my neighborhood.

Someone told me earlier this year that clovers became classified as a weed because there was a brand of weed-killer that would kill clover as well as "weeds," and so the company basically convinced everyone that clover wasn't desirable in their lawn. Silly, huh?