Friday, January 16, 2009

-19 F in South Hero

WOW, that is cold. I hope our house and the related pipes make it through this cold spell. C and M and A and M are there this weekend. I am so glad that someone will be in the house and using it.

In CO growing up, I am sure it was regularly -19 F and I know for a fact in VT it was -19 F. As I have said before on Facebook, and maybe here, "I love it when my nose hairs freeze." Call me weird if you want, but somewhere around 0 F, my nose hairs freeze. This got me thinking about how people told the temperature before thermometers. P at work does not wear a winter coat. At 12 F, he was in shirt sleeves the other day. I am in my North Face jacket, the thickest you can buy and he is in his shirt sleeves. Yesterday he wore a wind breaker. I was in my North Face.

All this is to say, I love cold weather. I love when the temperature is below 0 F. I really love it when it is sunny and cold. The snow sparkles are different with that mixture.

The crunch of snow under foot is another sign of cold weather. The crunch is crunchier.

So, I think today is the coldest day of this cold snap. Why is it a snap? Always asking why . . .

No comments: