Friday, January 9, 2009

Medical System Rant - Administurbia

Periodically I hate HMOs. Why do I have to go see 2 doctors every time I need to get something done? 18 months ago, I dutifully called my primary care coz I had an eye infection.

Just go see you normal eye doctor, you don't need to come see me.

I did. The claim got paid.

12 months later, I assume wrongly that I can just go see my eye doctor. Did last time, why not this time? Follow up exam 4 months later. NOW Harvard Pilgrim Health Care wants me to get referrals for those past visits. You all know how easy it is to get a PCP to call you back, "wink wink nudge nudge, know what I mean?".

Next fall we will be transferring out of our current HMO to a health plan where I can go see whoever I damn well please without asking anyone if it is OK.

This system is so broken. Please somebody fix it, or come to think of it, join me in trying to fix it. I would love to re-engineer our health care system. Barack, are you listening?

No comments: