Saturday, January 10, 2009

2008 - don't let the door hit you in the butt

Last year was horrible for a lot of people. In a weekly meeting someone remarked that they toasted the new year, and said goodbye to 2008. This was repeated again on Friday in another work meeting. Their reasons were not even economy or bad president reasons, but deaths of significant figures in their lives, and troubles with children.

For me, this got me to think about my year. My step-father had a stroke this summer and he and my Mom have been living with that since then. They are finally getting back to traveling so hopefully they can recapture some of their lives pre-stroke. These three incidents lead me to think about 2008. I even gave away some flair in Facebook that said "I survived 2008". There a quite a few people who could use that flair.

So foreclosures, job losses, deaths, normal life events. Were there more of these this year? Will 2009 be better? Will Obama be able to help us climb out of this valley that seems very very deep? We had a very good 2008, but my heart goes out to those for whom the flair is one that rings true. We survived 2008 . . .

No comments: