Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Jackson Pollock now



The first time I saw a Jackson Pollock painting, I was in my 20's. I was also pretty cynical at that age, and wondered why anyone would ever think that piece of crap was art.

How things have changed? When I saw this image on Google this morning, I knew it was Jackson Pollock and I actually like his paintings now. I really loved our visit to Mass MOCA in November, when we saw stuff closer to Jackson Pollock than the classics.

Some of the reason I have changed is that I have done more art since then and realize that we are all artists in a way, just different media and techniques. Some of my quilt projects are a la Jackson Pollock, throw a bunch of different colors onto some muslin and see how they come out in the end.

On another note, I own a website the-smart-chicks.com. A friend and I have been talking about what to do with the site and over dinner last night we decided that we are going to find "Smart Chicks" to write chapters in a book. We want our mothers and daughters to write some chapters as well. Obviously all authors should be women and smart chicks. So, I think my chapter is going to be on creativity and innovation. Of course, that could change but on this date 1/28/09, that is my plan.

I am sure that Jackson Pollock would have said that we are all creative. In a past life I did a lot of work with Creativity and Creative Problem Solving. One of the main premises, is that we are all creative.

I reinforced this when we were teaching the quilted jacket classes. Some of the participants did not feel creative, and doubted whether they could actually finish their jackets. One woman, Margaret was just about done. She had one seam left to do. I asked her "Do you want me to finish that seam?" She threw the jacket at me and said "Yes, please!" I must have seen her struggling and wanted her to have a completed jacket. She put her sewing machine out on the curb the next trash day. HOWEVER, she did finish her jacket and has a creative effort that she wears around.

I digress, but my chapter now might be on jacket making and creativity.

Stay tuned for updates on the book and the website which I need to make active.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Does this mean I won't be able to get to the "excellent" links Go Daddy's got on that page any more? Darn. Guess I'll have to bookmark them.

Rodney said...

I love my smart chick

Rodney said...

i guess what CHris is saying. You'd better start paying so that the 'excellent links' can be eliminated.

By the way chris - I assume your bookmarks are hidden from the rest of your family;-)

Rodney said...

i guess what CHris is saying. You'd better start paying so that the 'excellent links' can be eliminated.

By the way chris - I assume your bookmarks are hidden from the rest of your family;-)