Sunday, January 25, 2009

Vermont is a small state

Last night we went to the VSO concert in Burlington VT with brothers, sisters-in-law and niece and nephew. In the lobby we met the woman who has been incredibly helpful getting our small group ministry group started at First UU Society. Next to her was standing the father of a fellow NELS staff member, and a participant at NELS himself. This is complicated but the woman is the grandmother of someone I know pretty well from having been on staff for 3 years with her. She herself is now an ordained UU minister in Rutland and Bennington.

For about 3 minutes, my tiny little brain could not compute and all during the concert I kept trying to imagine this relationship. When I see J today at church I am still not sure I will be able to "see" her as E's grandmother or D's mother-in-law. She is still J for now, a woman who has been so supportive helping us get connected at First UU Society.

No comments: