Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ice and lakes freezing

For the past few days up at Coniston we have had some amazing experiences with ice forming, lakes freezing, and in general with winter. Our first morning here on New Year's Eve, it was -3 degrees F when I got up at 7am. My nose hairs froze when I went outside for the first time that day. Our "Channel 1" is the lake and with no leaves on the trees, we can see a lot of the lake. Our first 24 hours here, Colchester Bay was still waves and water. 4 days later is is frozen pretty solid. The ice fisherman are all out there each time we drive across the causeway to Colchester. They sometimes have a little tent over themselves when they fish but today they were standing out on the ice with no tents.

Yesterday we took the ferry from Grand Isle to Plattsburgh. In the summer, it is nice to get out on the ferry deck. Yesterday it was pretty cold although John and I did get out on the deck on the return trip. We hiked in Pointe au Roche State Park. While walking along we could actually hear the ice cracking and forming. We practiced taking movies with out new camera of the ice and water. Pretty neat. We were going to snow shoe but there was not enough snow.

My sister in law grew up going to the ocean so water freezing is new to her. Ken Charles and she took a night time walk (to try to get Thomas Henry to go to sleep) and came back with a big piece of ice, which until it melts is now a piece of art out in front of our house. My brothers, Ken and Charles, carried the ice from the lake. It was probably zero degrees F that night.

We actually shovelled off our pond on New Year's Day in anticipation of a hockey game, but it was way too cold. We played Apples to Apples instead.

It is definitely a science experiment to live in this house and watch Channel 1. Growing up we spent most summers on the lake but we rarely went there in the winter, except for the ranch. Ice and winters are very interesting, and in fact awe inspiring. I don't think I will ever be an ice fisherwoman, but maybe. It is a pretty solo activity with long days out in the cold.

I bought a new parka today. If we are going to spend winters in this house I need to be warm. The next time I put ice in my glass I will look at it a new way.

No comments: