Monday, February 9, 2009

Counting blessings - and Gay marriage

As each news article comes out about more lay-offs, more foreclosures, blah blah blah, I realize once again how lucky we are.

Yesterday in the church service, a couple renewed their vows in front of the congregation. Gary also asked people in committed relationships to stand up starting with 50 years, 40 years, 30 years, 20 years, 10 years. It was pretty wonderful to see the number who stood up in each category.

The president of the congregation gave a moving testimonial about moving from Oregon to Vermont because of civil unions. Vermont is in the midst of trying to up their ante to legitimizing Gay Marriage. I spoke with a lesbian couple during social hour, and asked what I could do. Write to my South Hero legislator and write to the governor. I can do both of those.

I always do this, but at the service I thought about recently divorced or those who are not in a relationship.

I don't always think I deserve to be this fortunate or this happy. I am waiting for the other shoe to fall all the time. In an attempt to be mindful, today I am counting my blessings and putting some energy into Vermont's gay marriage journey

No comments: