Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I am a Connector and a Problem Solver

We all do things so naturally, that we don't realize they are a gift. I naturally connect people and things. I am constantly brainstorming and solving people's interpersonal issues. Recently, at coffee with L, she was talking about her business and how she needs to find a place to have a silent retreat. BOOOOOOM, I suggested that she use Coniston. It is working out, and she is traveling there is a few weeks.

Yesterday at a career fair I was talking with another booth participant. He flew from CA on the red eye, and was leaving at 3pm to go back to CA. His boss told him, go find some MIT interns for the summer. WOOOOOW, I could be the university relations person for him. I could learn enough about his business to attend these east coast career fairs, and save him the flight and time. He actually gave my business card to their HR person, with the idea already communicated. I knew that because the HR person fed back my idea to me with some improvements. This might be a good retirement job. Travel and work at the same time . . .

Some professions that are good for my skills are recruiting and matchmaking. I don't do too much of the latter.

I am also a very good problem solver. I keep brainstorming ideas until a good one comes up. I actually have to keep the lid on this one sometimes, because it is not a venue for problem solving but rather just venting.

So, every once it a while it is good to reflect on what you are good at, and to make sure you are doing enough of that in your job and personal life. Myers Briggs is a good way to figure this out as is self reflection.

No comments: