Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Yoga is NOT for control freaks, or maybe it is

OK, so during Yoga today, I had this realization that with the leader guiding me through the hour long session, I had released a lot of control over to her. Also, during that hour as parts of my body released energy or twinged, I did not really understand why that happened but just went with it.

Last week on a day when it was yucky out, and I had planned an evening yoga class, I instead stayed at home and put on a yoga CD. It was not the same but it was a good substitute. With no peer pressure at home, I could walk out of the room, and not do that pose. I did not understand some of the poses, so I was listening a lot more to the voice than I usually do at the YMCA during my session.

So, I am sure a lot of control freaks would NEVER do yoga, but for those open to it, it is really good to practice letting go for an entire hour at a time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laughing with you! I stumbled upon your blog when I was searching for Yoga and Knitting...

I am an passionate knitter and yogini (I also teach yoga) - AND a control freak....which is why I love yoga so much - using the connection to the body as a gateway to calming the mind. I love that time when I am fully present - it is so hard otherwise!

Namaste!

julie@coolmoonyoga.com

Always Asking Why said...

Julie

Wow, we share yoga, knitting and Vermont. Where is your yoga studio, coz I need to find one once we are settled in our house up there permanently.