Saturday, February 28, 2009

Got my fix today

Today we left the house at 7:30am to drive to South Hadley to watch B compete in a horse show. We have not seen her compete since last May. I really miss seeing her on top of a horse. At one time in our lives, we drove together 5-6 times a week to the barn. For only 1 year the barn was 10 minutes away. For the other 7 years it was 30 minutes away. Then she started driving herself, and I had to detach gradually from watching her. At the time, I really missed it, A LOT. Kind of like when Crick stopped playing baseball. I pine for those days, every time I drive by a baseball field.

So, yes we are crazy. We drive 90 minutes and sat for 6 hours, inside a big barn, with a breeze blowing through us. We did get up to stretch the legs a few times. I am always nervous when she jumps, but today she was perfect during her jump class. It was also great watching her as the co-captain of the team. Helping the newer members get more comfortable. Urging them on when they were obviously nervous. Helping them mount. The first time the trainer said who wants to help Susanna get on, B jumped up and went with them. Is she going to give her a leg up? No, I think she was holding the horse while Susanna mounted. Mara was giving the leg up. I suppose she could give a leg up to some riders but at her barely 5", is is nearly impossible for some of the taller horses.

So many memories came back today of really early (4:30am) wake ups to drive to shows and sitting and watching and waiting. It does force you to slow down and just appreciate what is going on around you. It is magical the relationship between the rider and the horse.

At Bethany's first horse show with Autumn, just before she went into the ring she said "What right do I have being on top of a 1200 pound animal, and thinking I can control him?" The answer is that she has worked really really really hard to establish that relationship and now competing at the collegiate level, she rides a different horse each show, and usually one she has never ridden before. She did really well today in her flat class, with a pony who gave other riders a bit of trouble.

I could go on for a while, but I will stop now. It was a great day and for now my need to see her ride has been satisfied.

No comments: