Sunday, February 8, 2009

STOP - Not Done with Winter Yet

This is just not fair. I am not done with winter yet. As I sit on the couch at Coniston waiting for the rest of the house to wake up, I can hear the dripping of the snow from the roof, and the mound actually can be seen under the snow. Our ice sculpture which was installed on New Year's Day is in it's last day. This is just not fair. It is only February 8th and I can see the start of the end of winter.

Yesterday when the plow guy was here and I marveled at the piles of snow that he was creating he said "They are getting pretty big" to which I responded, "Yeah isn't that great."

I guess this confirms that we made the right decision to buy a retirement house in Vermont. We have been through almost a year of seasons and I still love it here. Granted we have not seen mud season yet, BUT honestly how bad can it be. A pair of wellies and we will be all set.

Yesterday Rod and I donned our cross country skis and went out into the meadow in front of us. I am making sure that my fragile knees can continue this sport before I invest in a pair of skis, and he did his best to obliterate the tracks in some places. (You can ask him for the details, since that is his story)

At night with clouds but almost a full moon we went for a walk with C and M and A and Q. We walked down Fox Crossing which is the road right across from Phelps Lane which leads to the causeway/bike path. All of the houses on South Street connect to the Lake but they are all PRIVATE ROADS. Of course at night, even with the moonlight we could not see the sign (tee hee hee). There are at least 4 beautiful houses down this road and we turned back when Qammi in her exploration turned on a motion detector light. We then walked down Allen Point Road which is another PRIVATE road. On both of these roads, if they weren't private we could get to the causeway on our bikes. Instead we ride 1.5 miles around. Not a big deal really.

Back to Coniston for games: this weekend it is Settlers (of course), Acquire (a game that A and his uncle play and he has a brand new box of) and Apples to Apples (which C and M had never played before)

Off to the Burlington VT UU church, back here for a few hours and then home.

It has so far been a beautiful winter weekend at Coniston, BUT I still don't like that it is melting, and that I can see the ground in a lot more places . . .

No comments: