Monday, December 29, 2008

How did we get here so fast? New Year's resolutions

Is it really December 29th? I love this limbo week between the 25th and 1st. Work is really quiet, the harassing of the 25th by the media is almost done with. There are all kinds of articles and shows about looking back over the last year and planning for the next one.

So, I have had my New Year's resolution identified for a few months now. The important part of these is making them a habit. DUH! My new habit for 2008 was to use reusable bags. It worked. I only used plastic 5-6 times during the year. If I forgot them in the car, I made myself go back out to the car. I also bought more reusable bags several times when I did not have them with me. Even my local yarn store gave me one this week. Free advertising.

So this year, 2009, I am going to use reusable mugs and glasses. Rather than take the Starbucks or Peets paper cup and plastic cover, I am going to hand them my mug. I have been practicing this and it is not that difficult. I really have already broken the habit of water in bottles. It is so stupid that we drink water out of plastic bottles, except if we are in areas where the water is not drinkable.

Back to bags, when I see people use plastic I wonder if they are reading different articles than I am about how bad they are for the environment. I want to lecture them and say, "It is not that difficult. I made a New Year's resolution last year and followed it most of the year." But, I should not butt in, maybe just gently suggest.

These are both very small gestures for the environment and at the rate of one a year, won't make that big a dent, but they are a start. A really difficult one would be to turn off all of the electronic machines in my house. When I walk through in the dark, all these little lights are still on. I would need support from other family members on this one, but maybe I could just do a few of those as well for 2009. We are thinking of a new car, and I can definitely purchase one with high gas mileage.

OK, on to the 1st and a trip to Vermont for 5 days. Yum, Yum . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are thinking the right way. It's a good example for everyone. Thanks. There ought to be a "time-out" power strip for all those devices.