Monday, December 1, 2008

December 1st - RABBIT RABBIT

When we were growing up, on the first day of any month there was a very strict routine. You woke up, did not speak and jumped over the end of your bed and said "Rabbit, Rabbit!" The early birds in the house would always tried to catch those who don't wake up as quickly and get them to talk before they said it. Weren't we mean? I think you were supposed to have good luck for the rest of the month. I think our birthday month was a really important one to do the Rabbit Rabbit thing.


I say there were strict rules because you could not jump over the side of the bed it had to be the end. You could not whisper. The spell was broken if you said anything. The entire family did this.

While on my walk this morning, I remembered that it was the 1st, so I said "Rabbit, Rabbit!" Qammi said "Where?" in her dog way. I have given myself a lot of slack as I grow older and this one on my walk counted.

I have met a few people who have this routine and understand me when I say "Rabbit, Rabbit!" but just a few.

So big birthdays today are Carlton Warren is 100, and brother Ted and friend Liz turn less than 100 today.

1 comment:

Always Asking Why said...

so it turns out that Suzy, Drew and June know what I am talking about so far . . .