Friday, December 26, 2008

Nearly Perfect Christmas

Yesterday was nearly perfect. Why not perfect? Well, maybe it was perfect after all. George asked me yesterday if there is anything about my job at Intuit that I don't like. "It is not in Vermont." was my answer.

What made it perfect. Having family around, even though it was only part of our family. Perfection for this extravert would have been ALL of our extended family, Russells and Lowes and Moores and Mayos and a Swartzbaugh, and a partridge in a pear tree.

The breakfast of eggs benedict is a must. George did the eggs which is always the hardest part for me. Judy made the hollandaise sauce and our friend Marilin did the english muffins. Bethany did the ham, and what did I do? Orchestrated . . . What did I do now that I think of it?

Our stockings were hung on the hearth with care and were stuffed. I love the stocking part of Christmas the best. There were very few presents under the tree and the tree is perfect this year. We had enough time to make some presents this year. Only one was a WIP. George wondered why I Santa gave him a partially finished pair of socks in his stocking.

The theme this year was Smart Wool socks. At least 3 if not 4 of the Santas in our house were giving them and no duplicates. Our feet were very warm.

We ventured out for a 6:30 showing of Doubt. It was very good, back to hot cider and a game of Settlers with a new twist, a fishy thing that George gave us as an addition.

BTW, George also gave us a travel version of Settlers that is going on a wonderful trip to Egypt and Greece with George, Judy, Frances, Grady and Bee.

So, yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus and the perfect Christmas is not on the TV screen or in the ads in the newspaper. It is in your heart and with the love of your family and friends. It is a day to pause and count your blessings and to have family and chosen family around. It is a carrying on of traditions and the making of new ones.

What do I want for Christmas next year, Peace on Earth and Obama administration success. I can help out on both of those in a small but powerful way.

1 comment:

Rodney said...

Even the introvert agrees.